When the wedding and reception are over, it is great to have an amazing place to run away together for your honeymoon! Sometimes, it is nice to have a relaxing night before heading to your destination, but there is also fun and excitement in traveling somewhere known for its beauty, romance, and recreation! I’ve done some research, and here are my top picks for honeymoons you’re sure to enjoy:
- Acapulco, Mexico–This makes the top of the list because it was our honeymoon destination! Traveling the day after wasn’t so bad, as it was close to the US, and it was the perfect place to unwind. It’s nice that the temperature is in the 80’s practically year round, and the water is warm and inviting. There’s snorkeling, amazing food, lots of local artisans with bargain prices, and nightclubs for dancing. Mexico offered an affordable honeymoon with a tropical feel! The Camino Real overlooks the private Pichilingue Beach. For more money, the Encanto Acapulco is rated the best hotel in Acapulco, where you can get massages at The Open Sea Spa while watching one of Mexico’s spectacular sunsets!
- Oahu, Hawaii–This is another dream vacation of mine. Oahu has such a variety of things to do, including learning to surf, visiting Waimanalo Bay Beach Park (touted as the best beach in America), swim with the dolphins or go on a shark dive, see Volcanoes National Park, or hike 2 miles to Manoa Falls. You can even book an authentic Polynesian luau! The new Surfjack Hotel and Swim Club seems to be a popular spot in Oahu, which is a short walk or bike ride to the beaches as well as some cool shopping venues. Turtle Bay Resort, on the north shore, offers horseback riding on the beach, and open helicopter tours.
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia–This honeymoon destination kept coming up in all of my research! Besides being featured in Season Ali of “The Bachelorette,” this place has intimate bungalows over the water, amazing tropical surroundings, rainforests, waterfalls, and hiking trails. The Hilton Bora Bora Nui actually has an offering called “The Bachelorette Package,” but if you’re looking for something a little less pricey, I would recommend Chez Nono, which is right on Matira Beach.
- Santorini, Greece–If you’ve ever watched “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” or “Mama Mia!” you know that Greece is one romantic spot! Santorini is a small island group off mainland Greece. It is highly recommended that you plan a flight to the island rather than rely on a ferry ride. The white houses on the cliffs above the electric blue Agean Sea make for an amazing view! The beaches are unique in that they are red, white, and black, due to (old) volcanic activity. Many tourists use rented scooters to see the sights. There are also day sailing tours and sunset tours that can be booked in advance. You also can hike the volcano, soak in the hot springs, or swim at Amoudi Bay. Donkey rides from Amoudi Bay to Oia can be planned just in time to dine in Oia and watch the gorgeous sunset. Persia Beach is the most mentioned beach for just relaxing. The Grace Santorini hotel in Imerovigli is known for its stunning views, In Oia, The Katikies comes highly recommended.
- Paris, France–What would a blog about honeymoon destinations be without a mention of “The City of Love”? If you’re looking for culture, great food, history, and romance, Paris is the place! You can book a dinner for two atop the Eifle Tower, visit the Louvre, stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens, have your picture taken in front of The Arc de Triomphe, or pack a picnic lunch for a tour of Versailles Palace and its beautifully groomed gardens. For a decidedly French flair at an affordable price, try staying at Hotel Matis, located near the Champs-Elysees. If money is no object, I recommend Four Seasons Hotel George V, Paris for its 18th century luxury.
- Hamilton Island, Australia–Known for The Great Barrier Reef, Australia is a wonderful destination for snorkeling. This would be the perfect getaway after a winter wedding, as Australia would be in summertime. It has such diversity in that it has rainforests, beaches, red deserts, and mountains. Feed the kangaroos and koalas at Hamilton Island. Charter a boat and fish for your dinner. Sea kayak and jet ski, or simply relax at one of the many pool bars. There is a secluded island across from Pebble Beach that can be reached by boat for a private picnic. Helicopter tours of Whitehaven Beach and The Great Barrier Reef can be arranged, too. For a mid-priced hotel with a beachfront, Reef View Hotel is highly rated. If you’re springing for luxury, with spacious pavilions overlooking the Coral Sea (many with private pools), then the Qualia Resort is definitely the way to go!
- Telluride, Colorado–Although greatly tempted after my research to include another luscious tropical location (Fiji, Bali, Belize, or Costa Rica to name a few), I recognized the need to include at least one snow-covered honeymoon destination. I thought about Switzerland, but settled on a place near and dear to my heart–Colorado! There are tons of awesome ski resorts to choose from here, but one of the most quaint villages, complete with free gondola rides and establishments reminiscent of the Old West, is Telluride. The magnificent San Juan Mountains frame this town, and Victorian-style shops line the streets. There are private cabins and chalets to be rented, slopes to be skiied, and even the over 100-year-old Sheridan Opera House, which still hosts shows. America’s highest-altitude restaurant, Alpino Vino, has a wood-burning fireplace and amazing 5-course dinners! Of course, in the summers Telluride is a fantastic honeymoon destination as well. There’s hiking to the 365-foot Bridal Veil Falls, Colorado’s longest free-falling waterfall; hot air ballooning, horseback riding, and outdoor music festivals. If a private cabin or chalet nestled in the mountains isn’t your thing, there’s the Hotel Telluride downtown. A bit more expensive is The Peaks Resort and Spa, which has stunning mountain views.
Hopefully, this list will be helpful in your planning of the most idyllic honeymoon that you and your spouse-to-be could ever imagine! Let me know where you’re headed on your honeymoon or your recommendations in the comments below!